Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

For some reasons this father's day has me more sentimental than ever (and if you know me that's pretty darn sentimental). Perhaps it's because Mike and I have done a lot of growing this year--purchased a house, a car, had a baby, started new jobs...

In any case, this year I'm more appreciative of my dad than ever. As a kid, I felt like I had a harder time 'bonding' with my dad because I was an indoor girl--a little bit of a sissy, didn't like to get dirty, didn't like to do things 'wrong', didn't like to be hot, etc., etc. However, as I've grown older, I've truly realized the worth of my father. He never let us down--always provided for us, always worked hard, and always taught us to put family above all else. He taught us to speak our mind--both a curse and an asset at times, and showed us how to have a sense of humor in the crappiest of situations. Every year my folks always planned and took us somewhere for vacation, and now that I'm a "grown-up" I see how expensive and hard that is sometimes.

As we've aged, I've realized that I don't need dad any less than I did as a kid, I just need him in a different way. I need him to beat my dishwasher into submission, to move me every year for 4 years straight, to vent my basement so my pipes don't freeze, to drive in the freezing rain to meet a new grandbaby, to inspect new cars (and houses) because I'd never dream of buying one without his approval, to fix cars, and fix cars, and fix cars...

And I need him because he's my dad, and he's Papa to a finicky silly little girl who will someday realize how much he loves her.

So, Dad, here's to you...for all the little and big things you do...

I love you!

1 comment:

Bree Shaw said...

ahhh, that was great jenn! it made me tear up. what a great dad you have!