Sunday, January 4, 2009

it's been awhile

It's been awhile since I've just blogged...no pictures, just words about life and what's shaking. I know, ya'll are headed for the red 'x' in the corner because who in their right mind would want to read a post about my life when I have a new baby to post pictures of? 'x' if you must, but today I just need to decompress.

We are settling into quite the little family life. Being a mama is everything I dreamed it would be and so much more. I think the more you want a baby--the more you pray about it, the longer it takes--perhaps the more you appreciate it when you get it. I love little Natalee with everything I am...I didn't even know about this type of love until she was born. I thought I could love no child more than Colby and Emma...and as much as I love them, I love my daughter even fiercer. Perhaps it's not more/less love...perhaps it's the type of love. I love Colby & Emma freely, with little responsibility attached, but loving Natalee is a whole new world. It's responsibility...thinking about what the future holds for this little person and how the decisions Mike and I make now are part of what shape that future. It's heavy...but wonderful.

I was looking with Andrea at Colby's calendar of firsts...you know the type...where you put a sticker or write down when one of their firsts occurred (first cereal, first cold, etc.). She had the sticker on his that said "recognizes Mommy," and I asked her how she knew he recognized her. She replied that she just knew. "You can tell," she said. A few minutes later I leaned over Natalee, who was laying on Emma's bed playing with Lauren and Colby and said something to her. Her little eyes brightened and she turned her head. "See?" Andrea said to me..."She recognizes you." My heart flip-flopped as I realized fully the love and dependence and faith and trust this little girl puts in her mama. What a blessed job I have! Thanks, Andrea, for pointing out to me that my baby knows exactly who her mama is...that even though she'll have deep, loving relationships with other family--like you've allowed us to have with your kids--that she'll always know who her mommy is.

3 comments:

Andrea Frederick said...

You're welcome...told ya you would know. Just follow your instincts and a few choice blurbs of advice from your knowledgeable sister:)

Bree Shaw said...

so true! i remember when my kids would just look at me and know that i would make sure nothing ever happened to them and that i was their hero! now days, i bet they don't look at me as their hero, but someday they will look at me like that again:)

Shonya said...

Oh, thanks for bringing tears to my eyes this morning! :) You are so, so right. I have never, EVER experienced anything like being a mom. I love it. And that just doesn't express how I feel about it. I find it fulfilling, exciting, warming, challenging. . .just everything. I couldn't have done anything better with my life than to love and train and enjoy these precious children God has blessed me with. I hate to sound like a 'know it all', but let me be the voice of experience for just a second--it just gets better! I'm serious! Your love for that little girl will grow like you just can't imagine. Enjoy the ride! :)