Saturday, February 25, 2023

Weekly Wind Down {New Window, Midnight Feast Sleepover, Crazy Colored Hair, Big Fig} Feb 19-25

 Another Sunday, another morning with this little dime in our bed at wake up time....
Natalee had a head cold so she stayed home from worship.  I came home after service so she wasn't alone so long and Mike and the others stayed for classes.  We just did Sunday things - some rested, some read, some played.  We relaxed and reset for the week.  In the evening, Ameliya and I went back to a beautiful worship service at church.

Monday was a regular school day.  Natalee balanced her weekly schedule with getting plenty of rest to kick the head cold.
I started my Monday with a balance of teaching and getting some household tasks done.  This week I decided to make two gallons of milk into yogurt as one isn't lasting us the week when the kids eat it for breakfast 2-3 mornings a week.  
The weather was gorgeous Monday and I noticed a couple days before that my bird friends were back for the spring.  My cardinals are back, the blue jays - and when I went out to fill the feeders I set my merlin app to see what all it caught - what a full yard!
We worked through school but also logged about four hours outdoors.
So nice to be reading our history outside again!
I took Zayden to wrestling Monday evening while Mike ran the home ship.  On the way I asked if he wanted to hold my hand and he accepted....treasure the moments.

Tuesday morning started colder as a front moved into Iowa....and as we woke up we had a message from maintenance saying the contractor was coming to replace our front window.  
While this was a stressor I wasn't upset honestly.  The window was in terrible condition and we have fought moisture all winter and a rotten window frame.  It was beyond time to be replaced and I'm thankful.
It was chuckle worthy given my prayer for patience Tuesday morning.
We moved school to my room or the kids' rooms and stayed warm enough by keeping the doors shut.
Plot twist....the new window didn't fit.  Ha.  Slight delay but they did get it in eventually and are coming back next week to trim it out.
Bonus - the new one opens and has screens on the side panes.
Mike took Mia to her OT appointment at his lunch break but we canceled Natalee's early morning appointments so she could rest and to ensure we didn't overly share germs.
A day of needing my children to be quite independent and play and not have my attention meant my little attention seeker needed to velcro herself to me to get through Tuesday evening.  We ordered Pizza Hut for Tuesday pizza night and watched a show instead of games.  I owe my kids a couple good game nights as the last couple of weeks have been kinda lame.

Wednesday was drizzly and gray.  We did school and got all our tasks done in good order.  
I made an early lunch and just planned leftover pizza for supper so it seemed like we waited forever for evening church time to arrive.  
The Brummer boys came over and I used colored hair gel in everyone's hair for Awana crazy hair night.
What fun!
Mia was pretty pleased with her tri-colored braids.
Mike and Natalee stayed home from youth group and she watched a Mandie movie while we were gone.  She was some better Wednesday night but it was a gym game night and I didn't think running around was maybe the best step in recovery.

Natalee was improved on Thursday so we kept her hippotherapy appointment in the morning.  After a couple weeks of cancelations for weather she was very glad to be back in the barns.  Her regular therapist was back from maternity leave, too, and Natalee was glad to see her smiling face.
Evie and I did school while Natalee worked.
I went down to put away a few decorations and get out some spring things after we got home and got sucked into a couple of hours of cleaning in the basement on accident.  I found a few things I'd tucked away for Evalynn and she was happy to have new activities.
Thursday evening Mike took Zayden to wrestling and I took Xavier to basketball.  Both had been canceled for weather the last couple weeks so the boys were glad to be back.  Next week is the final week for both activities.

Friday Mike took PTO and I got up and around bright and early to go with a friend to a one day homeschool conference in Pella.  It was so very good and encouraging - my brain is really too full to unpack it all here but maybe in it's own blog post I'll recap it eventually.  I enjoyed several of my sessions, appreciated browsing the used curriculum sale and booths, and needed the break and pick me up to finish our school year strong.
Mike and the kids had a good day at home.  They watched a couple Lego Master episodes and when I got home Zayden and Ameliya (and Evie, she'd like you to know), took up one of the challenges from the show and built their own big-fig (instead of mini-fig).  I absolutely adore it and treasure their creativity.
I mean seriously...
Ameliya has really been showing what a thoughtful big sister she is lately with last week's tea party and this week a sleepover that she planned for her younger siblings.  She asked for me to put together a "midnight feast" for them and then asked if they could set up tents in the living room.  
Honestly I didn't mind a bit that I got sent to my room by 8 p.m. and I loved hearing their giggles and antics from down the hall.  I even heard Mia instruct the others to brush teeth after they feasted (that was perhaps closer to 9:30 than midnight, which I think showed a lot of wisdom).
We gave the older two permission to read in their rooms and told them we wouldn't be instructing what time lights out was and then Mike and I watched a show in our beds. 
Evalynn came crawling into our bed at around 1 a.m. and the other two were pretty bleary eyed on Saturday but it was still so very fun.

The kids did cartoons on Saturday morning (and breakfast/brunch) and then we went over to a sports card expo at the local mall.  
My big girls and I were twinsing in our shopping belt bags.
We paused our card browsing to go to Xavier's basketball game.  
tired sassy's sleepover hangover was catching up to her
Xavier's height is an advantage in the opening jump ball.
The game was a good match.
After the basketball game, Mike dropped Evie and I off at home.  I washed her up, gave her a protein filled snack, and tucked her in for a long snooze, which she was happy to take.  The others went back to the mall to finish looking at the tables.  Natalee bought a pen, Mia bought a bracelet, and both boys bought ball cards.  Zayden was excited to begin his collection.
He looks a little older today...
We ended our week outside.  After Tuesday - Friday being pretty cold, drizzly, rainy, dreary weather, we were thankful to see 40 degrees today.  So funny how 40 degrees in February is "sweating weather" and we leave the house in hoodies.  Jace and Rogan came over and they all shot hoops, jumped on the trampoline, and enjoyed the free vitamin D.  Mike took Evalynn on a bike ride and then after supper and showers our tired out younger kids headed to bed early and the rest of us finished the night reading. 

No comments: