Sunday, August 28, 2022

Weekly Wind Down {2nd Week of School, Menu Plan, & More} Aug 21-27

Sunday we went to church and then headed to Missouri to see Grandma and Papa Tallman.  I didn't do a good job taking any photos.  I snuck away after lunch to have a good visit with my sister, Andrea.  She had quite a surgery on her knee a couple of weeks ago and still was able to push herself to start school so that her first graders didn't have to begin the school year with a substitute.  Quite a feat!  We had a really good visit and it was so good to see her.  I felt selfish for not taking any of the children with me, but it was nice to go alone.
Evalynn crashed two miles after we left and rested about half the way home.  The kids went outside and ran off some energy until it was time to come in and get cleaned up for bedtime.

We had a good week of school.  We are finding a rhythm and enjoying the flow of our days.  Stopping at 9:30 to come together for morning basket really sets a good tone and the kids are loving that I am intentional about stopping and playing a game with them everyday.  Our biggest struggle with that is that so many games are for 4 players and we have more than that!
telestrations
Evie stays in the middle of it all and "helps" someone play the game.
Zayden still loves computer math.
We try to be intentional about someone playing a game with Ev each day.
I started colors with Evalynn. 
rummikub....or our ollld version is called "rummy-o"
science with my middles - we're learning about insects
the kids often pick our game from the morning back up to play again in the afternoon
I insist on handwriting being done at the table...but Zayden forgot and was working on his cursive so peacefully outside that I just let it go.
Ev doesn't do "school" everyday but often after lunch right before nap is when she's used enough energy to sit down for about 10 minutes to work.
Xavier working on some python coding.
Zayden in the baby swing.  LOL. 
Mia's on the hammock.
Ev & Xavier are reading on the platform swing.

Other happenings from the week....
Our almost 3 year old reminded me why child training isn't for the weak.  Here she is in time out, protesting my insistence that she not throw sand at siblings.
I ordered some stickers so we could send some to Emma for her school laptop, which meant I treated the kids, too, and they got to learn about the fun of water bottle stickers!  This was a lot of fun for them.  Loved choosing their stickers out!
daddy styled Evie's hair...
We got up one morning and Evalynn was sound asleep on the couch.  
We just tiptoed around waiting for her to wake up.  Evie's world...
I've been trying to make sure she gets outside every morning.  The older 4 move in and out, doing a lot of their school work outdoors, but I don't let her go out in the morning unless someone is dedicated to watching her because we get busy and it would be very easy for her to slip away.  I don't *think* she would.  But.....  On this morning she enjoyed the swing while I attempted to get my morning reading done.  It didn't work - she wanted to chat.  My daily reading cycle is something that has fallen behind since school started.  I really need to get up earlier.  I am trying.
Natalee's window sign welcoming back the college students. :)
Evie got a birthday card from our friend, Kathy!
We went to the evening campus worship to support the students and see if there will be a place for us to volunteer helping them in the future.
Natalee had a zoom appt Friday morning and the others watched Octonauts.  She joined them for one episode after her appt before we shut it off and got our day going.
The American Girl doll store in our neighboring town is closed on Mondays, so Ev couldn't go shopping on her actual birthday.  She and I slipped away and went Friday morning and had such a sweet time.
Quite a build!
Wednesday evening I went to an Awana volunteer meeting at the church we've been attending.  I offered for Evalynn and I to bring snack for her little Cubbies group for the first week and the big girls helped me get it bagged up on Friday afternoon while Ev supervised.  The snack theme was a trail mix of items that relate to apples (the book they will do this year is apple themed) and bears (because they are cubbie bears).  
This was what we chose...
Mike and Evalynn worked up a salad while I made pork burgers Friday night - Ev loves spinning the salad spinner!
Natalee's home ec lesson was on using the blender this week.  She made a strawberry yogurt smoothie and saved some for Dad to try when he came home.
I treated myself to a few peaches at Hy-Vee and they were delicious.  Saturday I made some warm oatmeal with peaches in it for my breakfast.
Evalynn sniffed me out and came to "share."
Saturday brought a rain shower!  It started nice and gentle and perfect for playing in.
Overall it was a really good week.  We only had a couple outside appointments and that always makes the weeks feel luxurious.  The menu plan is going wonderfully and I'm so thankful for it everyday.

No comments: