Saturday, June 18, 2022

Weekly Wind Down {Ball Season Ends, Carts for the Girls, A New Friend!, Kids in the Kitchen, Hospitality, Garden, Sprinkler Fun} June 12-18

Sunday morning we were up and around early with a mix of excitement and nerves.  We had decided to visit a different church locally and the service started at 9.  We still very much love the people at the church we've been worshipping at, but we are praying over finding a place that we can commit our membership to, that has some outreach for our children so that they can build peer relationships in the community, and that Mike and I can use more of our talents and serve at.  This isn't a decision Mike and I take lightly. 
We very much enjoyed the worship and sermon service.  Afterwards we found some friends we knew, the Chilcotes, and they helped get us plugged in to our spaces for classes.  Natalee came back glowing from her Junior High class.  She said everyone was very welcoming but didn't make her feel "new and uncomfortable."  Mike went along to the "new to the church" class so that he could learn more about the leadership, beliefs, and membership requirements, and the younger four children and I went to the summer family class.
Overall it was a very successful visit and gave Mike and I a lot to think about all week.
I had a hankering for a really good turkey sandwich for lunch, so Mike went to Hy-Vee to get some lunch meat from the deli counter while I did a tidy and vacuum (we kind of left messy!) and changed Evie.  First I had to take her picture in this sweet outfit. 
I think it was one of my sisters that gave this outfit to Ameliya originally and I've always loved it.  It's classy and adorable.
The personality in her photos is quite something, isn't it?
Can you even with the pose?? 
Throwback to September 18, 2016, because you know I looked for fifteen minutes to find these....
Makes me want to put the outfit back on Evie and take her over to the campus brick and re-create these better.  Oh Mia, your sweet baby curls...
My sweet, sweet girl.
Back to present day...
After Evalynn hopped down, Zayden said, "I'm ready!" and posed himself.  Who could resist, especially since I can see both of his eyes now with that haircut!!? 
Our friends, the Paynes, stopped by as they headed out of town, and we got a visit and some snuggles.  Everyone tried to steal baby Haddy from me.  
Natalee held her for a bit, too, but I was chatting and neglected a photo.
Haddyn is very tolerant of our love.
She got very relaxed hanging out with Xavier.
Hey crazy lady, you're not half bad...
...a little boring maybe...
After our friends headed out, Mike sat outside reading over the paperwork from his morning class and Evalynn rode her scooter through the sprinkler I set up.  This was our first of many 90+ degree days so the water play was welcome!  The other kids trickled out and when I saw a lot of red sweaty faces I headed inside and made a batch of sno-cones.  I sent them all to the backyard where there's more shade and they were very appreciative.
I made a batch of spaghetti and salad for supper and then, after showers, we played several rounds of a new game I'd bought this week, Pit.  It's fun, fast, and loud.  
We did family devotions and caught up on a few episodes of World Watch News that we were behind on.
Zayden is really enjoying looking up the scriptures in his new Bible during devotions!

Mike worked the night shift this week.  He got up before me Monday morning and started bacon and eggs for a big breakfast.  Having our time with him in the mornings, means we don't get an early jump on chores and summer schooling stuff, but that's okay.
I had a family meeting to go over our week with the kids and laid out new zones and expectations after Mike left.  Xavier was in charge of turning some old bananas into banana bread for us, and Mia needed to mix up a batch of baked oatmeal for the fridge to be baked for Tuesday's breakfast.  They worked at the same time, so that Xavier could help Mia along if she needed it.
The morning zoomed by.  I chatted with Brooke for an hour or so while the kids worked on their expectation checklists.  Since we'd had a big breakfast, we ate the banana bread and apple slices for a quick lunch.
While at boys camp, Xavier met another young man who homeschooled in Colorado and really enjoyed getting to know him.  He is here for a couple weeks with his grandparents, who turned out to be neighbors of ours.  His grandma called to see if he could come over and I was so glad she reached out.  Quinn is a fantastic young man and I enjoyed getting to know him.  The kids played on the trampoline a bit, but it was pretty sweaty out.  They kept busy with the Legos and Pit!
Zayden had a baseball game early evening, so we dropped Quinn off down the street and headed for the ball fields with our bottles of cold water!
Zayden had a great game.  He played pitcher and second when it was their team's turn in the field, and he had two good hits at bat!
Papa and Grandma Beeler came up for his game and, while I went to pick up the Wal-Mart groceries that I had pre-ordered, they grabbed a couple of pizzas and met us back a the house.  The kids unloaded groceries while I showered Evie off.  She got a heat rash up her back at the game and I wanted to rinse her down and make sure it was nothing more.
Mike had caught part of Zayden's game during his supper hour, but had to go back to work, so it was just the kids and I to visit with Papa and Grammy.
Her hair is getting blonder in the summer!
The big kids played a few rounds of Pit before bed and were all snoozing before Mike got home from work.

Tuesday morning I tried to sit outside on the porch swing to do my Bible study.  About 5 minutes in I heard a tap tap tap on the front door and there was Evie wondering if she could come swing, too.
I was reading on hospitality a little bit last week and something that stuck with me was to let hospitality start at home and let it seed in your heart.  This was kind of convicting to me because sometimes I just need some quiet.  But, if I'd wanted quiet I should have risen before my troops, and so I smiled and said of course we should swing together.  Hospitality means making someone feel welcome to your time as much as your space.  I tried to keep reading but little girl chatter distracted my brain so I set it aside for later.
Mia braided her own hair into darling pig tails.  I love watching her interest in fashion and hair and seeing her blossom into her own person.
Evalynn asked me to match her hair to Mia's so I did my best.
States and capitals memory while we were transitioning to read alouds.  The paused while I read Little Town on the Prairie and Adventures with Waffles and then finished their game after.
I am trying to step back this summer and get the children in the kitchen more.  Tuesday morning for breakfast we had Mia's baked oatmeal.  Tuesday afternoon Natalee made a sour cream coffee cake for Wednesday morning.  For supper we had biscuits and gravy and I had Xavier train Natalee to make sourdough discard biscuits as he's done it several times.  After some trial and error, we've developed our own recipe that we love.
We had no plans Tuesday evening.  I should have taken the kids out to play after supper but I didn't and felt really convicted about it later.  I was just kind of eh - nights without Mike are lonely. 

Before breakfast Wednesday Mike helped us set our day up for success by taking the kids for a bike ride while I worked on breakfast and read my Bible in the quiet.  We had sausage links and that coffee cake Natalee had made.
We bought a used 20" bike for Mia because Zayden's been wanting to practice on the fat tire 18" bike.  He's not quite secure on it but progressing and the opportunity presented to move her up so we took it.  He's been practicing with the bigger bike in the yard, but still uses his 16" for all the long rides.
Mia sure did "girly" this bike.  Later in the week Xavier and Mike helped move her girl things to the new to her pink bike for Zayden.
I set up a sand table inside for anyone who wanted to play.  Yes it was kind of messy but not terrible.  From about 11-6 it's been very hard to play outside in the 90-95 degree heat, so this helped pass some of that time.  
Quinn came Wednesday afternoon.  The kids played Legos, a lot of rounds of Pit, and Apples to Apples.  They requested sno cones for snack.  Natalee opted out.
We dropped Quinn off at his grandparents on our way to the ball complex.  While we were unloading for Zayden's game we got caught in a rain burst but it mostly passed before the game began.
Zayden's last game!!  He had such a fun reason!
biggest fan...
Lil mama brought her baby to the game.
Post game treat from coach Ashley!
a pic from the association Facebook page
bunch o' cuties
After Zayden's game we ran home, gulped some supper down, ran a couple through the shower, and then headed back out to Xavier's last game.
Xavier's batting slump remained through this last game but his ability at catcher improved a lot this season.  We've enjoyed watching him grow.
He got a walk so got to do a little stealing.


Wednesday was a late night but we had to be up and out of the house by 9:30 Thursday morning for a 10 a.m. hippotherapy session.  We took the little minivan and I had brought scooters for the kids to play outside during Natalee's session, however we realized on the way to therapy that the air conditioning wasn't working in the minivan!  The windows down made a decent breeze but we were still sweaty when we arrived, so instead of scooters we went inside to the air conditioning and cooled down.
Ameliya had decided to spend some money at the American Girl doll store (which is why I had brought the minivan - the driveway is very short and hard to turn the bus around!).  We had a great time looking around and Evalynn's eyes got very shiny with many "wants" for her 'birfday' that's coming up.  Not to worry - she told the store owner she'd "bring her daddy."  Girlfriend isn't foolish.  Ameliya chose the mini doll Josephina to add to her collection.
Back home we went to continue our day.
I've been working on a big school hutch reorganization looking for my inspiration for next year.  It's slow going.  I really needed a conference this year.
Quinn came over for a bit after Ameliya's speech appointment.  He headed home to the mountains Friday but is coming back with his family in a few weeks so we hope to see him again soon.
Thursday evening was just "normal."  A regular 'ole night at home.  League sports are over so we have a lot of those looking at us this summer.

Working the ten hour night shift means that Mike has Fridays off.  He and Ameliya headed out early for an 8 a.m. OT appointment.  Natalee and I had an 8:30 zoom appointment.  Xavier watched the youngest two outside for me where I could see them through the windows.
Breakfast was a modge podge.  I made PB&J for some of the kids.  I fried eggs for Mike, Xavier and myself and warmed up leftover bacon.  Evie helped Daddy with his breakfast after she ate her own.
it's the dirt stuck to her jelly face for me.....
The kids starting outside so early means they got a couple hours out before it got sweltering.  I hung out a couple loads of towels (but not Zayden's - his allergist recommends against anything of his being line dried) and left them to dry before we all came in to cool down.
Look at the garden grow!
The things in the grow bags are definitely doing better than the pots.  We'll invest in more next year.
The carts for the girls' room came and Xavier assembled them all.  
Natalee actually sleeps with a 20 pound weighted blanket that I took off the bed to take a picture.  But she likes the other blankets to curl up with while reading and stuff.
Natalee's mini girls...
On a whim I bought Evie a mini cart.  Unnecessary, probably but she was so pleased to be included.  I'm going to get her little baskets so that her socks and undies can be on the lower two shelves.
She stayed in her bed *almost* every night this week!  One night she went to the couch and one night she came into ours.  This is huge progress!  She loves her princess photo prints and I think she's sleeping a lot better since I took all the babies and stuffies out of her bed and there's room for an Evie!!
Mia's mini American girl doll collection is above her bed.  You can see her new Josephina in the red skirt.  I don't know what's happening with the purple blanket she has extended from the pet net.  I was going to get all white carts, but hers and Ev's ended up coming from Michael's and they had that pretty rose gold....I couldn't resist.  Above Natalee's desk there's a mirror with a rose gold frame and part of her horse photo wall pictures have rose gold frames so it ties in nicely.
Friday was a cross between a relaxing day and a routine day.  I excused the kids from the bulk of their summer expectations checklist.  I did have them do chores.
Ameliya has been writing letters to a friend, so she and I had a quick tutorial on properly addressing a letter so that she can take over that part of the whole process.
Zayden and Evalynn took naps Friday afternoon because we had homeschool softball Friday evening.  So much fun and we all enjoy seeing some of our co-op friends!
I painted Evalynn's fingernails and toenails while we watched the big kids play.
Friday evening was another late one for us.  Everyone was showered and in bed by around 10:00, I think.

We made the tough decision to not drive down to mid Missouri for our niece's 7th birthday party on Saturday.  This is so hard for the kids (and us) but it was just too much driving for one day (four hours 1 way).  We did toy with getting a hotel room, but ultimately decided if we do that we need to do it at a time when we can optimize visiting.  The kids put a lot of thought into what we should send AJ for her birthday and it *should* arrive on her actual birthday, Sunday.  Do your thing, Amazon.

Saturday Mike got up and mowed the lawn before the heat crept in.  I made big batches of sourdough pancakes and waffles while the kids watched cartoons.  The rest of the day was filled with working and playing.  Mike and Xavier worked in the minivan to try to remedy the air conditioning.  They didn't have any luck, which was sure a bummer and not what I prayed for, but I'm trying to be grateful it's not the bus.  
I washed and line dried our sheets and then spent the greater part of my afternoon under the shade tree enjoyed an 85 degree day, the sunshine, and the sound of children.
If you want a whole lot of Evie cuteness, watch this 3 minutes of adorable.
Childhood....we protect childhood around here....
Last year we put the hammocks out but the kids didn't use them much because they would get ants and spiders in them and I think it didn't feel too welcoming.  This year I asked Mike to put the straps out and have the hammocks accessible in the garage and the kids can go get them, clip them on, and then be responsible for putting them back in the garage.  Everyone seemed happy with this system and were glad to see their hammocks - and Evie said "why don't I have one!?"
This girl....she talked me into an ice cream sandwich.  As much as she ran she probably needed it!
Twice she laid down on the platform swing but never did let herself fall asleep.  She was tired, though!
Mia and Zayden made a "water slide."  I love them.  They have such great imaginations for playing outside.  When they get going with a play scheme they can go for hours!
My spot!
I didn't get much reading done.  It's more like "read a page, help a kid, read a page, 'that would be a cute pic,' read a page, pause to watch the cuteness, read a page...." you get the picture.
I went in around 4 and started a big supper of steak fingers, mashed potatoes, corn, and steamed broccoli for supper.  We didn't really have a lunch - fruit, veggies, cheese, and crackers, so everyone was hungry and excited to eat when I called them in! I ducked out of clean up and showered while my kids took charge and Mike directed.
Evalynn was waiting with a hair brush to "brush you out, mommy" after my shower, and it's so relaxing and she loves it so much that I agreed.

Everyone went to bed tonight plenty tired and ready for a good sleep.  And my line dried sheets are calling...

No comments: