Sunday, June 5, 2022

Weekly Wind Down {28 Hours Outside, Unsolicited Advice, Summer Expectations} May 29-June 4

Honestly I don't really recall much about memorial weekend Sunday.  We went to church and my log shows that the children got five hours of outdoor time, so we must have just spent the rest of the day playing, reading, and being outside.

Monday was Memorial Day.  I posted this on my Facebook.
"Last night I bribed this girl that she could have a chocolate kiss if she stayed in her bed all night.  At 2 am when she started crying and her dad went in to soothe her I heard her sob, "I don't want my chocolate, I want my mama."
If you know Evie, you know what a sacrifice it is to be exchanged for the preciousness of a chocolate.  This morning as she was inches from my face, she said, "I don't get a chocolate."
"No, sweetie," I said.
Then she kind of sighed and scooted even closer into a hug and said, "but I got you."
We are softer with this one.  She is too indulged sometimes, and we know it.  We are also acutely aware that childhood is so fleeting, the older we get.  I like to think we take the stand when it matters.  Safety, direct disobedience, character training.  She came to me when I was in a dark place and it wasn't her job to get me out of it, because I'd never put that on her shoulders, but she sure helped.  Evie is also more secure in who she is as a little person, because I'm not trying to militantly "shape her up" so sternly as I did especially our oldest children.  It's okay to expect obedience and be gentle mamas.  Find your medium.
My log shows that we spent seven hours outdoors on Memorial Day.  We enjoyed our trimmed yard.  
I filled my bird bath and refilled feeders.
I served lunch charcuterie outdoors...
Little parenting hack....I have an old plastic gallon pitcher that sits under my kitchen sink.  When I serve meals outdoors I fill it with warm soapy water and take it outside with a towel to dry hands.  Easy to carry, dump, rinse, and put away for the next time!
The leftovers.....LOL.  They were hungry!
Mike put up the ninja line.
We think it needs raised but it was fine for today.
Yes, Evie's little arms were that pink.  We felt terrible.  It faded fast and we'll do better at protecting her.
The children played a game of kick ball with the neighbor's grandchildren that were in town for the weekend.  I worked on choosing curriculum and got pretty much no where.  It was a nice day.
Winding down our long weekend...
She loves brushing my hair and I love it, too!
I can't recall what we had for supper with our sourdough biscuits that I made, but the week before we'd had some pretty cold baseball games and I realized Evie's stocking hats were getting too tight so I ordered a new one and it came in the mail.  She wore it all evening....this little stinker.

Tuesday was back to work for Mike and it felt like a Monday Monday for the rest of us.  The children had finished school the week before and were kind of restless and unsure how to structure their day.  By mid-morning they were getting into their groove.
We finished reading Bambi.  The kids seemed to enjoy it.  Mia and Zayden have chosen to go forward and read Bambi's Children next.  I thought it was okay.  Strange but a clean read.
We had ball games on Tuesday evening.  Mike took Zayden to his game in a neighboring town and I had the rest of the children at Xavier's game in town.
What memories these cousins are making this ball season...Jace is pitching and Xavier is catching.  
We've kept a bag packed with sidewalk chalk, bubbles, snacks, and slime and taken it to every ball game.  It keeps little siblings busy!  Mia pointed out I numbered this backwards.  Sigh.
Look at her jump, though!
Our offerings often draw in other little people and I don't mind.  It's also good for Evalynn to learn to joyfully share.
Love these two ball players!
Our game got over about the time Mike and Zayden were heading back so we convened at Sno Biz.  The tables were full so we just made our own eating area.

By Wednesday I realized we were all going to need some guidance for our daily flow so I quick typed up some expectations for the children and we worked together to make each kid a summer book list.  They can free read books of their choosing on their own time, but for the 30 minutes of reading a day on their expectation list, it's from this book list.
The checklist has helped all of us a lot.  It's kept me from feeling frustrated at kids who are "lounging" that I feel like should be contributing and it's given the kids guidance on how to contribute to our days.

I started the first day of June out with a new Bible reading challenge and spent day 1 reading on the porch swing. 
When I came in my hard working girl was doing her OT/PT regimen that she does every morning.
cutie pie ready for the day!
Mia had OT during Mike's lunch and worked on getting the left and right sides of her brain to work together.
We didn't have any ball games Wednesday evening, which is a sure sign of our spring sports winding down!

Thursday I got up early, turned on my audio Bible, and was working on some healthy breakfast cookies when my little sprite came in.  Sigh.  I was enjoying that alone time.  However, I changed my attitude from "interrupted" to "adored" and Evie helped me get a go on the cookies.  It took longer, but she started her day out feeling loved and helpful.
My mixer isn't big enough to handle our quadrupled recipe so I do the wet stuff in the stand mixer and then pour it over the dry stuff and mix with a big wooden spoon.
Natalee had hippotherapy and the weather was beautiful.  I read The Boxcar Children to the kids while they drew with chalk.
proof of mom...
Back to the ball fields on Thursday night!  Mike and I got to go to a game together which is our favorite.  He was working at the football field and had Xavier with helping him, so he actually met us there but we got to sit together.
Our folding wagon AND stroller both were in pieces a couple weeks ago and I was feeling the sting of not having anything to help me get our gear from the van to the fields.  We ordered a new wagon and I like it okay.  It's not as wonderful as the Keenz or Wonderfold push wagons, but I'm *almost* done needing it and this one will serve me well, I hope for the rest of my time.  It does push or pull, has a canopy option, and folds easily.  If I were a new mom, I'd be saving for one of the great ones.  But I am old.  LOL.  #seasons 
Zayden had a great game!  It's been fun to watch him this season.
He made some good plays at first.
I realized when I got home that the end of the garden hose had gotten left in the drive and I'd run it over.  Oops.

Friday Natalee and I had an 8:30 zoom appointment.  The other children watched a couple shows while we were doing that.
Having the TV on in the mornings makes me feel crabby and leaves the kids wanting more so I need a new plan for those appointment mornings.  After we got settled back in, I finished reading The Boxcar Children to the kids and read a bit from Adventures with Waffles.  
Zayden made a manual lawnmower like Henry used in The Boxcar Children while I read.
After read alouds and chores, it was time for the great outdoors.  It was another 6+ hour outside kind of day and the children were plenty filthy to prove it.  Mia and Zayden played "boxcar children" which warms me up all over.  Ev joined in a bit here and there.  Their basket is the treasures they found at the "dump."
I hooked up the sprinkler pad and the three younger ones loved that.  They used it as their stream/brook and fountain as they played boxcar children.
The older two didn't play in the sprinkler.  What a new phase of life.  They read, played basketball, and brought some games outside to play.
Ev's arms seems to be pinking no matter how much I lathered them in sunscreen, so I went in and got her long sleeve swim suit.  It's from last year and was snug but worked for the day!
Mike ended up not coming home at his 5:15 time....he worked until it was bedtime.  I served supper outdoors so I didn't have to clean up the table.
4 monkeys in a tree!!

Saturday was quiet without much agenda.
The children watched cartoons and then we did a house tidy, but not a big clean.  Evie never did get dressed and no one brushed her hair.  
Zayden built a bike with the new connecting pipes!  I got a gift certificate from a company I used to order from quite a bit when I did daycare and was a children's minister so we got this set for basically free!
We ended the week by watching The Boxcar Children movie, which is one that I have to say follows the book pretty well!

No comments: