Wednesday, March 16, 2022

She Did it!! {Evalynn Ditches the Diapers}

Thursday morning I got up and asked Ev is she should learn to use the potty and she said "let's do it!"  That was better than Monday when I asked the same question and she replied "no thank you!"
There were accidents.  There was waiting.  There were books being read and songs being sung.  But she did it!!  {We did it.  Potty training is a lot of work.}

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday we were home.  I pretty much do a big sweep of 3 day intensive ,no pants potty training.  If by day 1 there is zero success or recognition that they are even having an accident and not running to the potty then we hang it up for another time.  I actually did that with Ev a few months ago.  
This time on day 1, when she'd have an accident she would say, "I gotta get to the potty!"  Then it's just a matter of them learning to get there before they go, which just takes some time and patience.  I paid Mia on day 1 to help me by being Ev's cheerleader, sitting in the hall near her potty in the bathroom, and keeping on eye on her cues.  I, of course, did all the "dirty" work - mess clean up, wiping, and stayed in the thick of it - but it was nice to have a buddy.  Mia wanted to be involved anyways, so it worked out great for us.
It's not a glamorous job.  It's certainly messy.  Day 1, the Bissell little green machine spot cleaner and I had to do a little work.  But by day 2 there was only 1 accident and on day 3 none!  She did have one accident on day 4, but day 5 was our big day out of the house ALL day for homeschool day at the capitol and she had zero accidents!  In the beginning stages, for a big day like the capitol day, I put on regular undies and then add over them the protection of "travel undies" (otherwise known as pull-ups).  There's no need to unhinge us all by making a puddle in the middle of the capitol when the bathrooms are in the basement (or in the car seat while we're driving).  However, she did great and didn't need my extra layer!  We're so proud of this big girl.  A couple of weeks ago she gave up her pacifier, too.  {Just don't offer her one because I'm not too sure she thought it was a great idea.}  She is doing fine without it, though, and it was time for her to bid it farewell.
Evalynn still wears a diaper at bedtime and naptime.  Naps have been pretty consistently dry and I would guess she won't need that for long (but she sleeps on my bed so....).  The first night she got us up to go potty, but then the time change hit and we're all a little disoriented and tired.  She's had some dry mornings and I think it will get more consistent with a little time and age.
Congratulations, Evalynn, on your big girl status.  We're so proud of you and happy for you!  Love you, peanut!

No comments: