Saturday, February 12, 2022

Week in the Life {Vday Boxes, Heart "Attacks," Big Little Moments} Feb 6-12

The weeks seem to fly by in a flurry of appointments, school, activities, and family time.  It's these days I'm trying not to take for granted.

The week began with worship.  For our dose of cuteness, here's little Evalynn with a pair of stick on earrings that Ameliya shared with her.  It's about too cute.


After church, we had small group study and pizza with our friends.

Monday morning we just weren't quite ready for school yet.  Each day in February I've been putting a heart on the kids' doors at night with something I love about them, so we decided to "heart attack" daddy's bedroom door to start our day. 
First, a quick "silent" video to Papa George's Skylight frame to wish him a happy birthday.
Evalynn was doodling on hearts, insistent that she be involved - as she should be - but when I was putting tape on her hearts I realized she was making faces.  With hair!  Is there anything cuter!?
So proud.
The kids did their hearts in their coded colors - Xavier is green, Zayden is blue, Natalee is purple, Ameliya is pink, and Evalynn is yellow.
Sunday night I woke up and heard one of the kids at our door but no one came in needing me so I didn't investigate.  The next morning I saw this...
Ameliya started leaving love notes for me.  And this is a sweet part of parenting no one told me about.  She feels deep, my girl.
After we made hearts for dad we worked on the kids' Valentines for our upcoming co-op party and valentines to mail out for some friends and family.  We also got Valentine mail.  Some of the kids chose to save theirs for Valentine's day - some chose to open theirs right away.  Evalynn was overjoyed to get hers.
When Mia decorated cookies she made a heart cookie for each of the kids in their coded color.  We had those Monday night after supper.
Natalee was at swim and ate hers after everyone else.  She forgot that I'd asked for a picture and ate it all up before we got one.  

Tuesday was warm and beautiful.  The day started early with 7:30 therapy appointments for Natalee.  We worked on school until 10 a.m. and then, after looking at the falling temps forecasted for the rest of the week, we hustled outside.  The yard was a weird mix of icy, soupy mess, so I made the kids some paint to help them enjoy the weather.
They also made "snow sticks" and painted them to look like cotton candy.
We also did a quick project to replicate a hydrothermal like are found in Yellowstone.  Wyoming was one of the states we learned about this week and now the kids are ready to go to Yellowstone.  I told them about my experience walking all around Old Faithful and the hydrothermals but I don't think they believed me when I said that they stink.
It was so decent out, and the kids were so soppy, that I fed a quick lunch outside.
After Evie went down for nap, we did some of that school we'd set aside in the morning.  Love this little boy who chose to sit in the sun to work.
Tuesday night while the boys were at basketball practice I did nails for the girls. Mia had cute heart nail stickers from her stocking, but unfortunately they didn't stay on well.  I still owe her a manicure, since they were all peeled off the next day.
 I was a little bummed Tuesday when I realized I'd forgotten about the new mom's group we've been trying to go to, but we had a nice day anyways.

Wednesday was gymnastics for Mia, chiro for mom and the youngest three, and a zoom appointment for Natalee.  
Tried to take a picture of this cutie but she was feeling pouty about something.
Dad was home for lunch break while we were working on geography (learning about Colorado) so he got to join the chaos.
Wednesday night Natalee had swim.
Brothers coloring before bed.  I love calm moments like these when a couple of kids are visiting and just enjoying each others' company.

Thursday morning with a fresh faced Evalynn.
mommy/baby toes
Zayden's writing was "two people I love are ______ because _____" but he chose to do six people.  I love that he wanted to include everyone.
Six people I love is dad and mom and Natalee and Xavier and Mia and Evie.  Because dad likes to read Harry Potter and mom because we like to snuggle while we watch State Plate and Natalee because she corrects me and Xavier because he does school with me and Mia because she likes to play with me and Evie because she has knock knock jokes.
Thursday's only appointment was hippotherapy mid morning.  
Ashley took Evalynn down to pet Chief and she was so proud.
Mia is working on memorizing her multiplication tables using the Times Tales app.
Thursday night we had nothing.  Glory.  I read aloud to the kids while they relaxed to wind down our day.

Evalynn's fresh Friday face.  She's enjoying having an opinion over her hair and I love it.
Mia had a speech evaluation Friday mid morning and Ev did a great job in the waiting area with me.  Mia did not qualify for services by standard score, but did qualify based on age equivalency, so as soon as the report is written we'll be setting up services to help her tackle her /r/, /l/, and /w/ sounds. 
After the speech eval, we grabbed the big kids and ran them to piano with Miss Kathy.  Then I bundled up the youngest three and we went outside to play before the temps dropped any more.  
There was mud.  Much much mud.  All three had muddy faces and clothes but at least we got out there and got some fresh air before the wind blew us away.

Clothes and children can be washed.
Mia and Zayden wanted to play states/capital memory and Ev wanted to "help" but I could forsee frustration, so I brought her into the kitchen to help me make protein waffles.  She's such a great pour, dump, and stirring buddy.
Evie loves to be a big helper and it's been challenging me to find new ways to bring her into my world.  I've taught her that she can come to the stove with permission, so this day I gave her that bag of sausage links to lay in the pan before I turned it on and that bought me 5 whole minutes.  All the moms say praise.
Mike bought me a new waffle maker that I didn't even know existed.  I love my small mini dash waffle maker but it makes one waffle at a time.  We mostly use it for individual kids to make themselves a scrambled egg, but anytime I use it for waffles I always say "I need like four of these so I can make these perfect 'eggo' waffles."  They are the best waffles for reheating.  This was perfect, worked well, and the "run off sticks" were fun for the kids (we ate those first since they wouldn't pop into the toaster for reheating).  
I've been working on this protein waffle recipe for awhile and we've finally decided it's just right to our tastes.  Just in case anyone wants to try it.
I also let Evalynn help me switch out laundry several times on Friday and she loved that.  She spotted the play-doh toys in the laundry room and asked the kids to play so we set up the table downstairs and they worked for a couple hours.
Friday night we again had nothing.  Glorious.

Saturday brought more basketball.  Zayden got to do the tip off and made the opening shot.

Xavier's had a hard season.  We're proud of him for sticking it out and going into every game with a positive attitude.
Saturday night brought prepping for Monday's co-op.  Natalee spent some time completing some forgotten about chemistry homework.
After packing backpacks, we put the finishing touches on the Valentine boxes and loaded them up.  So thankful for Dad who does these with them.  Zayden doesn't care much about the process.  He helps cut and glue but he wants it to look exactly like his vision so he's happy to let Dad lead.  This year he chose Paw Patrol Chase.
Xavier went with a Titanic like ship.
Natalee chose to not do a themed box but did decorate a box.
Mia's gymnastics box.  
I see I wrinkled the floor mat when I helped put her Mia on it, so we'll have to smooth that back out.  Very cute with her balance beam, double bars, and floor mats.
I did make Evalynn's for her.  I took her Easter/Halloween bucket and made a tulle skirt for it on a piece of elastic.  Printed a Cinderella holding a valentine and stuck that right on it!  Completely unnecessary, but she asked "where's mine?" and I just couldn't say she didn't need one.  Look how happy...

Just like that - another week just zoomed right one by!

No comments: