Friday, December 10, 2021

Natalee Turns 13 {Our First Teenager}

Our beautiful firstborn officially turned over to "teenager"!  

Last week I invited her to a birthday "food hop" (progressive meal) to celebrate her big day, so Mike took off to keep the rest of the children and we made a day of it!

But first....she chose bacon and eggs for her breakfast, and then, presents.

Her tie dye shirt from last summer's VBS got really tired looking and she was wanting a new one, so instead of buying the shirt we bought a kit to make one herself.  
Books - always her favorite.  A few Nancy Drews, but also one called Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations
I wrapped her gifts several weeks ago and forgot what was in one of the packages.  Joggers and charms for her swim crocs! 
And now we have a whole slew of kids wanting crocs so they can have charms, too.
After gifts, she and I were off for our day out.  Here's the invite I gave her...giving a couple of choices for each "hop spot" helped with in the minute decision freeze and listing some of the options of foods at each place helped with the anxiety of "what do they have?"
She chose Big Acai Bowl for drinks/appetizers.  We both ended up getting a smoothie.  She got the Cacao one and I got a Tropical smoothie.  I really liked my smoothie - it was tasty without being so sweet that it gave me a stomachache.  I think Natalee liked hers, although the cashew was definitely a heavier nut butter taste than peanut butter.  She drank on it throughout the day and made it about 3/4 of the way through - pretty good for something new (and they were very generously sized - could definitely be a meal!).
After smoothies it was hippotherapy time.  I watched Natalee and sat in silence (usually I have the whole crew along).  Quite a treat.
Her team sang her happy birthday.  She got to go to hippotherapy on her birthday last year, too.  We found out after we got there that we were the team's only appointment that hadn't gotten canceled...my mom heart felt really grateful that they chose to let us come instead of cancelling - change in schedule is always a struggle, although both Natalee and I are getting better about accepting it.
After hippotherapy we went to Applebee's for lunch.  Eating out is really a big treat for our kids.  We just don't do it often both because of expense and the logistics of going out with a large family.  We do get take out occasionally but usually eat it at home.
Natalee picked chicken strips and fries and we both had a salad.
I had planned to take Natalee to the American Girl doll store, but she decided she'd rather go walk around Wal-Mart.  We have been using pick up services so much that she hasn't been in a store to just browse since we went clothes shopping a few months back.  Nannie and Vance sent her shopping cash and she was raring to spend it!
Somehow we made it to the croc section.  LOL.  I loved the yellow ones and the leopard ones, but in the end she chose a fleece lined pair of black ones.  Sensible for winter swim!
Natalee also bought herself a new sketchbook and a princess doll she'd been eyeing and she talked me into matching PJs for all the kids, which I admit is a fun idea. We looked at make-up and clothes, toys and crafts and had a fun few hours.  I tried to talk her into a stop at Maurice's, but she was tired of shopping!
After we shopped and shopped it was dessert time. Off to a local gourmet cupcake place for some delicious cupcakes.  I got a French silk and she got the classic chocolate.  We got some to freeze for my upcoming birthday so I don't have to bake!
We headed home after our cupcakes.  Natalee relaxed after a busy day and watched an episode of a show she is enjoying.  Mike had put together the birthday lasagna while we were gone so I got to relax a little, too.  One last present before supper....Telestrations - a game she's been enjoying at co-op book club and wanted for our home collection.
We played and had a lot of fun!
Natalee chose a Reece's ice cream cake for her dessert (thanks, Wal-Mart).  She had spied them when we were in getting a treat after her first swim meet, and I completely forgot but she reminded me!  It was very tasty!

Happy birthday, Natalee.  We love you so much and are so proud of you!

No comments: