Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sledding Party

Today was a first for my kids at ages 3 & 5.  They've sledded before but never gone to a real farm sledding party and let loose down a bumpy pasture hill that gives you that rush of "whoa".

The camera didn't do too hot (apparently it works better if the batteries are charged) but I snapped a few pics before it died completely.

Thanks to my folks and my Uncle Henry & Aunt Julie for laying out a fire at the bottom of the hill and providing hot dogs, s'mores, and other goodies for the kids.  It really was a blast and although I didn't sled this year (Mike and I decided that at 34 weeks pregnant it was better to sit out) I LOVED watching my childhood memories come to life through my kids' eyes.

Natalee wasn't feeling super great before we left.  The start of a cold, I'd say.  I offered to stay home with her and she opted to go.  Instead of stewing in our own germs we decided getting out into the air might do her good.  And who can tell a five year old that isn't totally down and sick that she has to stay home from the sledding party?  She went down the hill about 10 times and had a BLAST (as indicated by her face above) before giving into her tired and going to the house with Aunt Julie and buddy Rylan. 
The kids had it made!  Papa and Uncle Henry/Chance carted them up the hill on the 4-wheeler and side by side all afternoon.  I was joking that they were terribly spoiled and we didn't get such treatment as children (we did walk up a lot, it seemed) but then mom reminded me of the times the dads would hook car hoods and feed troughs up to a truck and cart us back up the hill.  Maybe we had it made, too.  The hill sure looked easier to climb in my memory than it did today!
This guy...this normally reserved and kind of shy kid...he.had.a.BLAST.  I lost count of how many times he came down the hill.  He'd ride couples, solo, it made no difference!  Even after he ate a face full of snow he just wiped off, warmed up by the fire, turned in his glasses to mom and went back up.  He rode up with anyone offering a ride and came shooting back down just as quickly.  He lasted almost 2 hours of solid sledding before curling up by the fire with Nannie. 

Just when we think we will be violently ill if we see any.more.snow. we find a way to call ourselves blessed.  Blessed by God's beauty, by family, and by the fun of time spent in innocence. 

No comments: