Saturday, February 8, 2014

Busy Bag Exchange

I posted last week about the homemade geoboards Mike and I made for a homeschool moms busy bag exchange.

This morning was the exchange.  Here's a run down of what I got for my traded in geoboards!  The kids and I tested all but one of the bags (because I wouldn't let them!) and we feel like they are ALL winners!  They are each excited to choose one to take to church tomorrow!!

The "rules" of the exchange were loose and simple (perfect) - basically keep the cost to around $1/bag and we all made 15!  Even thought the geoboards looked intense, they were quite cost effective...Mike made 21 for around $18 and was able to return the unused nails to our local lumberyard because they are awesome like that.

Here's a picture review of the rest of the bags (please excuse my children...I got home with the bags at noon but they had talked daddy into a PJ day so they look a little unkempt, but happy!):

Popsicle Color Match
This bag was made by a big sister of many - daughter to the organizer of the exchange.  She plans on using her set of bags when she goes babysitting.  She stitched the felt to make the top of the popsicles and included sticks to slide into each. 

Popsicle Stick Puzzles and Color/Shape Matching:
This activity is multifaceted...we only explored the pattern cards that she included but the instruction paper this mom stuck in the bag has lots of ideas for making airplanes, matching clothespins to sticks, etc.  God bless her for coloring all those sticks and clothespins!

Counting Caterpillars
My kids love to string/lace.  As they sat down to this bag, Natalee said, "I'll say the number, brother, you find it for me."  Then she looked at me and said "I'll teach him his numbers." 
Thanks, sis!
In Xavier's defense, he knows some of his numbers 0-10.  Not all of them interest him quite yet!
These pieces were made from foam and the string was already reinforced at the bottom so it wouldn't unravel.  The circles have numbers on one side and dots on the other to count.  The head was attached at the bottom of the string.  All of these things are SO handy to me! 

Shapes & Colors:
My kids really liked this activity.  I'll be laminating our shape cards because I can see it'll get a lot of use!!  For each shape, this mom included the correct number of large popsicle sticks in the same color...so there are 5 purple sticks in the bag, 3 yellow, etc.  The shapes with slanted edges were challenges for both of my kids which is good!...room to grow!  I can see that we may add more shapes to this bag!
 Sponge Blocks:
This is just exactly like it sounds...blocks made from cut up sponges.  I was anxious to see what my kids would do with these and they loved them.  Xavier loves to build, make trains, etc.  I like that these are QUIET so they can fall on the floor at church and no one will ever be the wiser.  We can add to this bag, also, by picking up different colored/textured sponges at the Dollar Tree and including them!  Throw in a few small animals and it's a ready made center to go!

Clips-n-Sticks:
Xavier caught on to this right away...match the color and put the clip on the stick.  He made rockets with all the ones he got. The fine motor ability in this bag frustrated Natalee but we encouraged her to finish at least one stick.  This will be good practice for her fine motor skills...her hands are getting stronger but still lack some dexterity.

12 Bean Sort:
It's always fun to have a game that is in a "different" kind of container.  This one was a draw for my kids because it was in an egg carton!  I'd love to tell you all the kinds of beans in it but I'm not very bean savvy! 
 Rainbow Counting
My kids LOVE the wooden knobs in this bag and Natalee is over the moon with the rainbows.  Xavier needs to practice counting the tiny dots instead of "estimating."  It makes Natalee tense when he guesses!  I suppose she can use this bag to continue to teach him his numbers.  This friend dyed the wooden knobs (mushrooms) with RIT dye on the stove.  The colors are brilliant!

Butterfly Symmetry:
This will be a challenge for my kids in a great way!  Xavier watched carefully while Natalee completed one and then he did the same card.  I love the felt that will last forever!  This mom included the website that she printed the cards off of so we can make more if we want.  There are great math lessons in this bag!  (Update:  Upon looking at that website there are a TON of awesome busy bag/quiet time activities on there.  {http://allourdays.com/busy-bags-quiet-time-activities})
 Dry Erase/Chalkboard:
Dry erase on one side, chalkboard on the other...this mom included a marker, piece of chalk, and felt eraser!  My kids will LOVE this bag and it will get tons of use, especially when we travel!  It's a perfect size and the tote it's in is darling.
 Hungry Birds:
This might be a family favorite!  This bag includes a cup (nest) with two baby birds in the bottom, a clothespin (mama bird) and worms (pipe cleaners).  The mama has to pinch a worm to deliver to the babies in the nest.  This is another one that's GREAT for fine motor.  Natalee struggled but really wanted to feed the birds so she successfully nabbed 3 worms before sending it to Xavier! 

Balloon Ping Pong for 2:
This is the one I haven't let my kids test yet.  I'm saving it for a time when it's not *almost* nap time like it was today!  The paddles are a large popsicle stick sandwiched between 2 paper plates.  There are 2 paddles and a few water balloons included...blow up a balloon and play a fun and indoor safe game of ping pong!!  Love it and so will the kids!!

Overall we had a very successful morning and these new activities just might get us through this winter that doesn't want to end...

1 comment:

Shonya said...

Love, love, love! This is one of my favorite posts--because I want to come back and make a bunch of these bags for my kiddos!

What was the website for the butterfly symmetry? I'd like to check that out.

I'm sure the Hungry Birds would be a big hit around here, and I also think they would enjoy the shapes and colors--good idea to outline the shapes with craft sticks!

I don't think I quite understand the puzzle sticks, but I'm intrigued. And of course, we need to make a geoboard. ;)

Thanks so much for taking the time to share all these ideas. The cold temps have been killing us around here!!! (Toooo much energy in this house!)