Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Things I Want to Remember--The Blizzard of 2011 (Part 1)

February 1st and mercy is it snowing! Like I've never seen before in my slight 25 years here...and I've been here all those 25 years. The whole town is shut down, with the exception of our brave mail carrier who brought the mail this morning, the MoDot crews, the Ambulance medic teams, and the Tri-County Electric crews who will continue to run in emergencies. I have family ties to the 3 latter mentioned. Praying for safety for all who have to be out. And for the smarts for those who don't have to be out to stay in!

Our little house is warm enough, though the heater is running almost constantly and we have 2 space heaters downstairs going. We have food enough, diapers enough, water enough. Mike ran this morning before it all hit to grab diapers for both kids, 2 cans more formula, bread, more milk (we bought 1 gallon yesterday in Memphis), canned soup (you could live off it if you had to!) & more chocolate chips (because if the electricity holds I'll bake!). The back porch has snow drifting inside. I'm anxious for the new windows that will be put into it this spring/summer. And the basement is COLD!

Mike decided we should shut off the upstairs tonight because it's already very cold up there. With only 2 heat vents, neither of them being in the kids' room, the space heater will fight a losing battle trying to keep up and we really don't like to sleep with it on anyways. I giggle remembering the days when my bedroom as a child was that cold every night in the winter because it didn't have heat! Nonetheless, we've blown up the air mattresses and will keep the kids down with us where it's warm and pray our electricity holds. I've washed all the blankets that were dirty so we'll be plenty warm. We will also clamp a blanket across our front door tonight because it's so drafty--and that will keep us a little warmer.

We have plans to go to mom and dad's if the electricity here gives as they have a generator. If dad can get us there. If not we'll bunker down and do our best (insert canned soup!).

All in all I feel very lucky and blessed. We both work jobs that cancel in bad weather--period. I'm grateful Mike doesn't have to be out in this and can be home to help with the children (meaning I have time to do some baking and reading). Already the school has called notifying us that tomorrow is another day home for us.

Facebook is calling this a SNOWPOCALYPSE!!!!!
The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning.
Weather.com reports temperatures at 17 degrees with a real feel of -1*. Wind is blowing from the north at 35 mph.
Usually we can see the Christian Church from our kitchen window but not today. It sure is swirling and blowing out there!

We're making history here and it's a little exhilarating to be a part of it! I'll keep updating as I think of things I don't want to forget.

From my house to yours...stay safe and warm!!

No comments: