Friday, May 23, 2008

a new experience


Well, I had a first time experience today. It all started when Mom called me yesterday and told me about a big 'first time baby yard sale' advertised in the Shopper in Bloomfield. I got out my paper and read it and, of course, got very excited. It had all kinds of baby gear listed, plus 0-18 mo. baby boy clothes. We still aren't finding out what we're having but we're planning for both--plus, even though it's advertised baby boy, there are usually things that work for boys & girls. The sale was supposed to start at 4 today. So around 3:10, when Mike was coming home from work I called and said, "hey, drive over to the duffield subdivision and see if that garage sale opened early," thinking if it had, we'd run over. He called back laughing and said that it looked like the day after Thanksgiving over there. It wasn't open, but cars were lining up along the drive. I started getting in one of my moods--you know, oh great, I hate pushy, shovey yard sales--but Mike convinced me to get my shoes on and he came over & picked me up.
We joined the madness & waited in the drive for about 20 minutes in the car & they finally lifted the doors. People were power walking like crazy--it was funny to just hang back and watch, but we eventually joined in the fun. First we looked at the big stuff--what people hadn't snatched up yet & settled on a great vibrating bouncy rocker to take to my mom's house & a lay under gym that also folds into a tummy time activity center that will probably end up at one of our parents' houses. While Mike was holding those things, I started looking through all the clothes. The lady said she'd had 3 boys, so some of the clothes were kind of worn, but she had several sleepers--some
yellow--that for $1 each I couldn't pass up. I also got probably 10 onesies (something I'm convinced you can never have too many of) lots of them white & yellow--a couple cute blue ones with patterns (one with a firetruck for daddy) & 4-5 towels. After I loaded my arms with all that, then I walked back through and looked for the really cute baby boy clothes. I picked up several outfits--some just play outfits, but still very cute. I looked through her maternity clothes but nothing struck my fancy--however, I'm pretty excited about what we did get. It's fun to think that, even though Mike & I figure we'll get mostly new gear for our house through showers & stuff,
that we still get to find fun things for Grandma's & Papa's houses (and even more fun to thinking about sharing a new baby with willing and loving Grandmas and Papas)! I'm glad Mike convinced me to go but even more glad he was there. I'm sure that even if I would have set those big things down at my feet to look through the clothes they would have been gone (or someone would have tried!). It was a new experience--never waited in a driveway for a garage sale to open, but it was a fun 45 minutes & we got some great buys!!!

No comments: