Saturday, April 16, 2022

Weekly Wind Down {Co-op, Pot Throwing, Artie is 1, Farm Tour, Easter}

The week started out sunny and we spent Sunday celebrating our nephew Arthur's 1st birthday (he officially turned 1 on April 12th). 

We took an early birthday present to Theo - a boogie board that we thought he might like to take along when they travel later this week.
Since we won't be together Easter weekend, we took a birthday party intermission for Grandma and Papa's Easter egg hunt.
Back to playtime, with a birthday boy that was getting tired!
We headed home late afternoon to get showers and get prepped for co-op the next day.  Well, that was the plan anyways...
In reality, most of the kids didn't come inside until dark.  The forecast for the week was not looking too favorable, so we took advantage of the 70 degree evening and played outside.  I warmed up leftovers and fed everyone supper in the backyard.
Perhaps staying outside until dark wasn't the wisest choice, knowing we had a busy Monday looking at us, but after several hours in the van it seemed like the right thing.
Monday we were up and on the road before 8 for co-op.  
We all split out for our classes and then went to the nearby park for lunch and co-op.  Another day of good warm fresh air.
My little artists began a project that we will complete at our next session and display at share night.
Evalynn didn't do so great in the nursery this week.  She lasted about an hour before she started sobbing for me.  I feel so bad that she's going through such a hard phase lately.  She cries for me if I get too far away all day long or if I step out for a little while. She's waking at night and at naps, and cries out in her sleep even when she's not awake.
I'm trying really hard to intentionally pour into her each day.  Since I ended up in the nursery during second hour and my assigned third hour, we had some extra time to spend together.  We built a tall tower with mega blocks and then put together a track to drive on.  Ev occasionally left my side to play with the other kids, but not very much this week.
Park time!
The zip line is very popular at the park.
Ameliya...
Natalee...
Zayden learned to play octoball (I think also called gagaball) and was excited to tell me about it.
After our park time we went to Aunt Annette's to visit and it wasn't too long before the sunshine called us and we ended up in the back yard enjoying the day.
I feel like every conversation I have with anyone is splattered with interruptions to take a toddler potty, caution an adventurous child, stop an argument, and the like, but I do really enjoy our visits to Aunt Annette's house despite the interruptions.  She genuinely cares about each of the kids as individuals and checks in on their specific interests and what they have going on in their young lives.  The kids love telling her their stories and that her house is always carefully decorated for each holiday.  And I bet she sleeps good after the Beelers have come 'round.  LOL
A cookie faced Evie and her Nanette.   
We got home Monday night and the three youngest went along with Mike to Xavier's baseball practice to soak up the rest of the sunshine of the day.  We tackled unloading our bags from co-op and Sunday's adventures.  Papa and Grandma had packed treat bags that they gave the kids after the Easter egg hunt and everyone was happy to see the snack bucket get refilled with something other than Mom's boring granola bars.  {When we unpack the children's individual bags their snacks get their name put on them.  The rule is you only eat your treats unless you make a fair trade or get permission.  Mom's not stealing snacks - promise.  But if you leave your cheeze-it's unattended Evalynn might take off with them.  She can't read.}

Tuesday was another early morning for some of us.  Natalee had 7:30 clinic PT and OT.  I got around and went along to chat with her PT about some bracing issues we are having and then to sit in on her OT session.  I sure appreciate our therapists and I am reminded how much when I watch her sessions.
Learning to braid using pipe cleaners.  So proud of this accomplishment.  Reagan has done a wonderful job balancing fine motor activities and activities that are meaningful to Natalee's daily living.
Our PT, Whitney, helped us decide what new braces we needed to request and we have an appointment to get new DAFOs with stretchers and to try a prescription walking AFO.
Natalee and I ran home after therapy and she ate a quick breakfast.  Then we got on the road back to the town that we do co-op in because she had the opportunity to do a pottery class with her co-op art teacher and a couple girls from her class.
Mike stayed home until 10 Tuesday morning to run the show with the younger set.  He got to watch Evalynn in action at gymnastics and agreed it is the most adorable thing ever.  
When Mike went to work at 10, Aunt Penny came to babysit.  We're so thankful to have her extra help occasionally when we just can't seem to balance it all between the two of us.
Natalee really enjoyed the pottery class.  There were challenges due to her cerebral palsy, but her co-op teacher, Janae, was so patient and helped her work through them, and the pottery instructor gave good instructions.  
While Janae helped the girls throw pots, I rocked this sugar (Janae's youngest) down for his nap and let him get a little over an hour in just snuggled right up with me.
Natalee was so proud of her pots and so am I!  Well done!
We will go back at another time to glaze them before they are fired and we pick them up.
Evalynn had some "I need mommy" moments for Aunt Penny, too (sigh), but overall I think they got along just fine at the house.  Everyone was playing a game when I got home, but boss baby was at the end of her rope so I plunked her down in my bed for a nap shortly after I got back.
Ameliya had soccer practice Tuesday evening and went with Mike alone, while I made supper and the others ran through the shower and wound down the evening.  I appreciate when the older kids engage Evalynn and help her to untangle from my legs for a few minutes.
Post shower Evalynn.....velcro'd back to Mommy.
I text our friends, Chelsea and Madi, who both have new baby girls, and told them I hope their hubbies did a better job of cutting the cords of their girls than Mike did with this one - she seems to still be hooked to me!

Wednesday wasn't such an early morning.  Ameliya had gymnastics, then we returned our library books, and that was the total of Wednesday's outings.
Wednesday's weather did not inspire much extra activity.  I did 5 loads of laundry and folded it up while watching a couple of vlogs and the kids played.  My ankle is still swelling some so I alternated propping it up and running up/down the stairs to switch laundry.
Xavier's baseball practice was canceled, although once the snow stopped the sun actually shone and it might have been okay to have it!  We had a simple supper of breakfast casserole.  
While the casserole baked, Evalynn brushed out my hair.
She's ruthless but effective.
Grandma Cindy made rice krispie nests with eggs and sent them home Sunday, and all the kids thought they were great, but none so delighted as Zayden has been with them.
We ended Wednesday night with devotions, read aloud time (we've started The Long Winter), WorldWatch news, and an episode of Little House.  Evie says she has babies like Madi and Chelsea.

Thursday was another gray chilly day.  My buddy was in my bed when I woke up.  Again.
I have been having Natalee make baked oatmeal for Thursday's breakfast for the last 3 weeks so that she can really gain some confidence and mastery in the kitchen.  She did it so quickly this week and didn't need help for anything.  She also decided to omit the cinnamon and add mini chocolate chips this week, which all the kids loved.  I'm so proud of her growth in this area.  After another week of baked oatmeal I'm going to have her train Ameliya to do it and switch Natalee to Friday's scrambled eggs.  (Yes, our sons jump into the kitchen often, too!  Just working with my early risers for weekday breakfasts right now.)
We washed up breakfast dishes and the kids worked through some schoolwork before we headed out for hippotherapy.
When we got home it was time for lunch and then we settled in for some read alouds.  We are continuing The Long Winter and we started Bambi.  I've never read the novel Bambi and I'm really excited to enjoy it together.
While I read Natalee fiddled with magnetic dolls, Xavier worked a word search, and the younger three played with the scented slime that Grandma and Papa Tallman put in their Easter goody bags.  I don't have very great auditory comprehension skills, so I'm always amazed when the kids can do other things and listen, but they sure can and answer any question I throw at them.  Zayden especially listens better when his hands are busy!
After we read, we cozied up and watched two episodes of Little House.  Sometimes I get really annoyed at how much this show doesn't follow the book, but, at least for the most part, it's clean TV.  
Nanette sent Evalynn home with this Easter decoration on Monday and she's arranged and rearranged it a dozen times this week.
You can tell she's so so safe climbing up to it on a basket, too.  
Mia had soccer practice Thursday evening and Mike took her while the rest of us had supper.  He brought her home early so she could eat and then the four oldest kids and I went to the Nazarene church for an Easter experience.  It was such a good reminder of the price Christ paid for us and was perhaps the most important thing we did all week.  There were 6 scenes, all so beautifully done, with a character in costume who explained their role in the crucifixion and resurrection.  The man whose donkey colt was used to carry Jesus through town over the palm branches.  The daughter of the man who hosted the last supper.  Judas Iscariot, Barabbas, Simon of Cyrene, Mary of Magdala.  The experience was one of those times when it's better to just lean in instead of get out the camera.  At each scene the children collected an egg, and then we had the opportunity to discuss the evening with refreshments before heading home.

Friday we didn't really have an agenda.  I actually slipped out mid morning and took about 3 hours to myself.  We got stuff around for being gone Saturday and Sunday and did a tidying pass over the house.  I baked a full (6 egg, 3 cups of peanut butter) batch of monster cookies and a double batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for our weekend festivities and the kids were willing to help me taste test them (wink).  The kids played outside quite a bit.  Ameliya had soccer practice and the youngest 2 asked to go along.  It started to cool down at the fields, plus there's no wind break there, so they ended up watching practice from the back of the bus.  Benefit of a large vehicle.  Mike grabbed pizzas for supper on the way home because my ankle finally cried uncle and I decided I was done in the kitchen.
Money eggs from our friend, Kathy, for all the kids on Mike's side!  I found these cute car eggs at Dollar Tree and thought they'd be fun for the hunt and for Ev's sensory table after.
I rolled Mia's hair while we watched the news and then we got everyone to bed!

Saturday I was up and bouncing early.  I finished getting my food ready to take along and then did my hair before everyone woke up.  I really enjoy getting up and working in the quiet of the morning before everyone else wakes up.  I enjoy it so much that I have to work sometimes to not be grumpy at the first person who wakes up while I'm in my solitude.  LOL.
We were on the road a little after 9, headed south to Missouri.  Mike and I treated ourselves to a rare "fancy" coffee from Scooter's and I was reminded why we do that rarely.  Not just the price but also because it's just not quite like I have fine tuned mine at home.  Ha.  It was good though and a nice treat for the drive.  We got to Mike's folks' a little after 10:30 so that the kids could play with their cousins.
We had lunch, and then I loaded up all the kids to go to my sister and brother-in-law's house to see their lab puppies.  Kea and Mike came along and the kids had such a good time touring the whole farm. Aunt Annette and a couple of my cousins were there with their families, and it was so nice to see them, too. Some of my kids just aren't smitten with the puppies, but I was pretty sure my nieces would be, and they certainly were.  The puppies are three weeks older than they were last time we played with them and the chub and individual attitudes they've gotten are just adorable.
I'm not a dog person all the time, but they are too cute to resist, honestly.
Our nieces, Isa, 
and AJ.
After lots of puppy snuggles we checked out the chicks, looked at the pigs, found some kitties, went back for more puppy snuggles, then headed to the horses to see if they wanted treats.
My nephew's first little pony, Lady, and her new baby, Tramp.  I was surprised she came so close to us with the baby, but she played the part of full farm experience for the kids.
It took a little convincing, but Monty eventually sauntered over for some peanuts.  He tried not to be annoyed at the kids who were so brave with their peanuts until his teeth got close and then pulled their hand back through the gate with the treat.  He was like, y'all, I cannot stretch through this gate any further.  He was a good sport.
Tell you who wasn't a bit shy about Monty's teeth.  Evalynn.  She loved him, patted him, fed him, and probably would have gotten on bareback if we turned our heads and didn't watch her.
We stopped over one more time for last puppy snuggles before heading back to Phil and Sara's.  
Easter egg hunt time.  I'm thankful the weather had mercy on us enough to just be "breezy and chilly" but not freezing.
The kids had a combination of unmarked eggs, eggs with their names, and their truck egg to find in the hunt.
Some of their eggs had paper slips in them that they redeemed for a prize of their choice.  They thought that was a fun twist on the hunt.
Post hunt Evie was a whole mood.  She was so tired.  Mini meltdown for Daddy out in the grass.
We fed her a snack and that helped.  I made chex party mix to bring along and she really likes it.  She's a salty snack girl.  I just put chex, cheerios, pretzels, and nuts in it and she eats it all but the nuts, which she always gives to her Daddy.
Kea made sugar cookies and all the fixings for the kids to make their own fruit pizzas.  That was a lot of fun and a great alternative to a large fruit pizza that you try to make suit everyone.
The kids played hot box in the yard and then came in for a quick supper before heading back out while I loaded bags and Mike packed the bus.  
They themed dressed themselves so I had to get a picture.  Xavier got new overalls from Nannie and Vance and had said he was wearing them.  Then Natalee said she was going to match and then Zayden and Ameliya.  They came to me and asked if Ev could wear hers and I originally said no, because potty training toddlers in overalls is more work.  However, I succumbed and they are a pretty cute bunch if I do say so myself.  Little Evalynn totally understood that she matched, too, so that made it more worth it.  I am so thankful for this crew.
A quick picture before we headed out.  I was thankful to not be driving home in the dark as we saw a lot of deer on our drive!
We got home and unloaded while the kids ran through their showers and vitamin routines.  I prepped some food for Sunday's festivities, and Mike did a quick store run for me after we got everyone tucked in.  I showered, because a fresh wash and PJ's usually gives me the required amount of rejuvenation to get a couple more hours when I need it.
Easter morning ready.....
And another full week come and gone!

No comments: