Sunday, August 16, 2020

Week in the Life {BIG Bike Wreck, Ending the Bird Unit, Ice Cream, Storm}

Sunday, August 9th
We have begun going back to worship at the Church of Christ we've been attending up here.  It's so nice to safely be back with the small congregation there - to worship with other believers and be able to focus without the distractions of home (except for this lil cutie...the best distraction but so ornery).
We have always raised our children to sit in church every Sunday and trained them to be quiet and sit nicely.  It's a lot of work but consistency helps.  Let me tell you - taking six months "off'" in the middle of the training is oh, so hard.  We're thankful for the graciousness of the congregation as we work on training this babe right on up in the thick of things.
Sunday afternoons at home are kind of nice.  Leftovers, rest, games, kids playing....

Monday, August 10th
Evie will be 1 soon!  We're practicing!
The start of a new week, and our last week of the bird unit.  We've had such fun and learned so much!
Nice pelican, buddy!!
Beautiful peacock, Mia!
Zayden is working on initial sounds!
The kids have loved the birds/eggs memory game I made for the unit.  So worth my effort to print and laminate.
The storm siren went off and woke up this darling.
I thought it was a mistake but soon enough we did have a big windy storm blow through as a skirt of the land hurricane that swept through Iowa, derecho.
Our kids cleaned up the neighbors downed limbs and piled the mess all up for them.

Tuesday, August 11th
Good morning....
Zayden and Mia colored in their math houses as we prepped for school to start in a couple of weeks.
The children also picked up sticks and branches left from the storm damage across the street at the baseball field.  Xavier and Ameliya in particular worked so hard - for hours!  We didn't do our bird study but the kids did draw their pictures for the Picture This weekly contest.  The theme was bees...
Our diaper delivery arrived and the kids enjoyed the box!  I cut them a door and Zayden called it his sewer lair (he's a ninja turtle!).  It lasted about 3 days.
My mom had her knee replaced Tuesday, and did wonderfully.  We're so thankful she came through so well.

Wednesday, August 12th
Wednesday was busy!  We jumped into our bird unit and then had an early lunch to get to Natalee's first hippotherapy session.  Ev was napping so I made her lunch to go.
Therapy was amazing.  We had very little turn around time before we headed to the therapy center for PT.  The kids had a bit of down time when we got home and then just enjoyed the rest of the evening.

Thursday, August 13th
I don't know what I'll show you when there's no bird art to feature on my blog!  Here are the drawings the kids did on Wednesday.
Mia has footprints in the snow behind her penguin.  Love the creativity!
Thursday's art lesson was drawing overlapping birds.
Zayden and I colored ours in with water color pencils, while the other kids chose colored pencils.
During Mike's lunch break on Thursday I took Natalee to her OT session.
Tacos for supper on Thursday!  Ev loves black beans.
It's been cooling down in the evenings and making it quite pleasant to play outdoors.

Friday, August 14th
Our final day of the bird unit, though we'll continue growing and learning and watching our new backyard friends as a family.  We have learned so much.  Our kids - from 4 to 11, can identify so many birds, their eggs, and characteristics about them!  To wrap up the unit I had each child write a short story as a bird.  Natalee wrote a story in prose about a cardinal.
Xavier became a blue jay.
Zayden narrated his story to me.  I was surprised when he chose a screech owl - fun!
Ameliya narrated her story to me, also.
Instead of an art project, I gave the children a STEM project of building a bird with Legos.
Xavier made a peacock.
Ameliya made a cardinal.
Natalee made a penguin.
Zayden made an owl.
Mia also added a swan to her bird journal.
And I added an attempt at an eagle.
Friday evening we had an easy supper
and got all loaded up to take a family bike ride.  It was cut short by a pretty big accident.  Mia and Xavier were racing downhill and she lost control and crashed.  I was just behind on my bike, unfortunately teeth are not my thing.  My stomach was turning when I saw her spit out tooth, but I did stay calm and walk her to her dad.  The big kids, especially Xavier, were wonderful and got all the bikes put away and helped with the baby, while we spent the next couple of hours contacting the ER, dentists, etc.  My head was pounding by the end of the night, but I bet Mia's was more.  She's eating soft foods and we're praying that the permanent teeth that are a bit loose re-establish themselves firmly.

Saturday, August 15th
I put in a food order at about 12:30 Saturday morning of gelatin and juice to make jell-o, pudding mix, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, etc to make sure we had enough soft food choices on hand for Mia's healing.  I picked it up at 8 and started stocking the fridge for her.  I had planned on going down to see my folks and check on mom's knee recovery, and in the end I took all 3 girls along and the boys stayed with Mike.  We had a nice visit and Mom looks wonderful.  She's doing really well with her recovery.

While we were away the guys put together Evalynn's birthday gift - a new sandbox.  Her birthday isn't for 2 weeks, but we gave it to her because, well, it's in the backyard.

After supper, I decided a treat for the family was in order and we all went for ice cream.  Soft for Mia and enjoyed by us all.
Zayden tried the s'mores sundae - some kids order the same thing always but he's always up for an adventure.
Evie wasn't done with her supper so we threw her spaghetti in a bowl and took it along.  We bring classy everywhere we go.
Mia and Xavier have leftover ice cream in the freezer.
My fella is such a handsome guy.  I'm so thankful for him.  He loves me even when I look tired and worn out.
It was a good way to end the week full of ups and downs - as much for the time to sit and chat with each other as for the ice cream treat!

No comments: