Thursday, September 12, 2013

Our Four-Eyed Blue Eyes

Adding a #3 to the family hasn't been the only news in my blogging absence.  While most of my friends keep up with us on Facebook I still appreciate my blog as a record of our lives and am sad I took such a "break".  So, as I think of things I'll add them on so the kids can look back and read someday!

In December, after some "teacher mama" warning clues I took Natalee to the eye doctor and she was prescribed glasses after an exam. She wears them well and hasn't ever complained.  I think they make such a difference to her that she wants to have them on!

In March, Xavier tanked a preschool eye screening so I took him in for a follow-up exam.  He was diagnosed with an astigmatism but the doctor thought we had a chance of him outgrowing it so we waited 6 months.  At his 6 month check in August he was prescribed glasses to correct the astigmatism and some trouble with his close up vision (he sees like an eagle far away!).  So far he's left them on well and I've noticed improvement with his attention span and his coloring while doing school work.  



While Mike and I have truly enjoyed finding lots of "natural" ways of living, vision isn't something I can figure out how to correct naturally (big grin), so we are grateful for corrective lenses for our 2 little people. I did try to strengthen their eyes with Omega supplements that we've been giving them since they were younger but whether that had any effect or not is anyone's guess!  It certainly didn't hurt, of that I'm sure.  

And so, I add "certified glasses cleaner" to my repertoire of other mothering duties!  Anyone want to place a guess on whether we'll need another pair of glasses for #3 in 3-4 years??

No comments: