Friday, September 20, 2013

Changing....

It's amazing to me how much a person (or 2 people) can change over the course of 5 years or 2 kids.  When we were expecting our first baby we were SO excited about the "stuff" that came along with the little person.  We came right home from our baby shower and put together EVERYTHING.  I mean - bouncy seat, high chair, swing, jumperoo - the works.  Either no one told us or we didn't listen (likely the latter) that all that STUFF doesn't make your baby any more/less valuable...that with your first especially you'll rarely use any of that stuff and that by the time you have your 3rd child you'll have sold most of it and seriously wonder if you really need to replace it at all.  

As we gear up for baby #3 here at the Beeler house I realize how much our needs, wants, and necessities have changed.  Likewise, our views, parenting styles, and lifestyles have changed a ton as well.  

At the top of my list for baby #3 were cloth diapers, a good baby carrier & a wrap, and these darling aden + anais swaddling blankets.  Obviously some of these are more "wants" than "needs" but there it is...the whole of my list in a nutshell.  Sure, there are things we don't have to think about b/c we do already have 2 children...we still have our pack & play (rarely used, by the way...I sometimes wonder at the necessity of these!), our high chair, and our crib.  The cradle is stored at my in-laws.  But God is also gracing us with opportunities to "buy used & save the difference" in ways I probably wouldn't have entertained when I was pregnant with #1.  (Perhaps with #1 I was a bit of a baby gear snob?)  My cousin, who has darling twins, has 2 infant car seats with 2 bases for each.  I asked her the other day if she'd think of me when she was ready to sell one.  We sold ours after Xavier, knowing that if/when we had more it'd be expired and no good to us.  My cousin agreed - check that off my list!  Another cousin offered us a barely used bassinet.  Not something we had with the other 2 b/c we had a cradle, but as we are thinking of moving and not sure what kind of house we'll be going into we realize it might be handy if we are in a multi-level home. 

We purchased cloth diapers to finish Xavier out before he potty trained, and then as they were shipping we potty trained him quickly, so they are stored and ready for action.  We're slowly adding to our stash and I'm (naively) excited for this adventure.  
 

My baby sister & her new husband blessed us with the much coveted aden + anais blankets that I wanted as a congratulations gift and as a way to let their EIGHTH niece or nephew know that they love him/her just as much as numbers 1-7!  

I caught a huge sale on Ergo baby carriers from Amazon just this week and am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my organic black carrier (run, Xavier, run...you will be my ginny pig!).  

I'm scouring the used Facebook pages for just the right wrap, although I gulp at the amount of money that even the used ones require that you part with...
 

 And so, you see, it's coming together.  If we are still in this little house when baby comes I'm not sure where we'll put him/her (that wrap will seem more important then, I bet!!) because this humble abode is just about full up, but I'm a believer that where there is a will, there is a way.  

We've also changed a lot regarding our birth plan and I'm so excited to have my baby sister on board as my birthing coach/partner.  She's helping me find just the right balance for our family...but that's for another post! 

So, happy Friday my friends.  Here's hoping that as you grow a little older or a little wiser that you find ways to simplify your life and enjoy the things that matter the most!

No comments: