Thursday, May 13, 2010

Natalee'isms'

Today was an unexpected day of being at home due to high water/flooding on our secondary hard surface roads. If the kids can't get to the school there is no need for the teachers to go! And so, we got to spend the day loving our daughter. Well, Mike started out by going back to bed b/c he worked a bad wreck last night and was physically and emotionally drained. So, while he slept, Natalee and I had breakfast and played and then she went down for a nap and I jump started the weekend cleaning. Then Natalee took a walk with daddy and went to visit Grammy Sara. I picked them up in the and we went to the nursing home to see Grandma Numa-Num at work and watch some little girls dance for the residents.
Natalee's getting quite vocal and her new favorite work is, "noooo." When someone holds their hands out to her, even if she knows them, she'll sometimes say, "noo" and turn her head away. And it's all the time...
"Natalee do you want a drink?"
"Nooo." and then 30 seconds later, "cup. drink."
It's exhausting and cute all at the same time. We wanted her to talk so badly that we really can't complain.
Tonight at supper we were doing this whole routine...
"Bite?"
"Noooo." and then a few seconds later, "bite, Mama. num-num." *sigh*
She kept pointing at a play fork she'd been carrying around that is from her new kitchen set and I was doing my best to ignore her. She didn't say anything about it, just kept pointing to it. I'd give her her silverware and she'd say, "no, no, no." So finally I gave her the fork and she was a whole new eater. Everything was 'num-num' and she ate like a champ. She's so funny (and finicky!).

And tonight I experienced a whole new Natalee. I went to put her to bed, which is usually an easy routine but tonight she decided she needed her Daddy. Only Daddy wasn't here. And she screamed and cried like I've never heard her before. I would go up and try and comfort her only she would hit at me and headbutt me...and one of my only rules with her is you don't hurt others. We don't hit you, you don't hit us. So I would tell her I loved her and leave her in her bed. We did this for 30 minutes. She had my stomach in knots because I felt so sad for her. How pitiful to be screaming for someone who isn't there. I know some of you did the whole 'scream it out' thing with your kids and I'm certainly not judging you but I just don't have the heart. And so when I was at my breaking point I finally just called Mike, walked back up the stairs, and gave Natalee the phone. And she listened and listened in rapture. Her screams became hiccups and she calmed down. And God bless him, Mike just talked and talked to her...told her to be good for mommy, and that he loved her, and he'd be home to kiss her soon. After maybe 5 minutes Mike said bye and Natalee told him "dye-dye." She whimpered some when I hung up the phone but didn't start screaming again and was calm enough to finally settle and sleep. This was a hard reality moment for me. Usually when Natalee has a parent preference it's mama, but tonight she just needed her daddy fix. She's funny when one of us has been gone a lot or busy with other things--her little love tank gets empty and she needs it refilled ASAP. It's not that she loves one more than the other...she just loves us both and truly enjoys being a little family. All of us. Together.
I like it that way, too. And although this stage of "Natalee'isms'" is a little challenging it's also very rewarding and fun and full of laughter and love.

And tonight, when two little mourn the loss of their daddy, I thank Jesus for giving my girl such a wonderful man to kiss her tiny cheeks at night.

2 comments:

breanna from glimpse said...

LOL this cracks me up! i am desperately trying to remember a time when lizzie didn't talk and i was desperate for her to. time goes by so quickly! now i find myself saying, "ok, no talking until the timer goes off". LOL i thought maybe boys were different, but i'm hearing they might even be worse cuz they tend to be a touch more clingy to their momma's. LOL oh dear!!!! each stage is so precious isn't it???? :)

Bree Shaw said...

poor little babes. it is very hard when they want the other parent and not you. my boys are at the stage where they want to be with their dad all.the.time! hunting is way more fun than hanging with mom. it hurts my feelings, but then i have to stop and think, "at least they have a dad that cares and wants to be involved with them and that lets them go with him."