Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Vacation--The First Leg

Well, we left the morning of the 16th--my dad's birthday. We didn't get gone as early as I wanted because I FORGOT TO SET MY ALARM! Can you believe it? Anyhow, by 6:30 be were headed out of Lancaster. By Bethany The Bean was ready for breakfast so we stopped and had a bite and then traveled on. Natalee traveled great the whole day. We took it easy, stopped for breaks when we wanted, and had a great time. For the first time, I didn't sleep at all and realized how much I enjoy visiting with my husband.
We stopped in Topeka at a wonderful park. For a $1 each we had a nice little train ride & then walked around a bit.

We got to Chad & Laurie's in Garden City after suppertime and got Natalee settled into bed and then chatted until after midnight!

The next day the Ulrich's showed us around their town--we toured both campuses of their church, took a nice walk, and then went over to the zoo (and hit a yard sale but that's beside the point!). We were mesmerized by the size of their church facility. What a blessing to have adequate classrooms, a gym, and industrial kitchen!

When we got to the zoo someone nearby looked at the clouds and commented that we'd have an hour before the rain hit. I think we had about 30 minutes. What we saw of it was awesome, though. Such a nice zoo to have access to! Anyhow...we ran back to the vans, threw in kids, wagons & strollers (although a good KS wind did try to take my stroller away!) and headed home. We'd barely made it in the car and started driving when I heard the thumps--hail! The storm was fast and furious (and kinda cool) but definitely flooded the streets of Garden City. The hail was so thick in places that it looked like snow. So Natalee had 2 firsts on this day--first time at a zoo & first hail! Needless to say when we got back out of the car after the 10 minute drive to the Ulrich's house from the zoo Natalee was a little chilly in her sundress!
have I mentioned how much I love zoos? these 3 little lion cubs were born in March!the above picture is of the sudden flooding from the storm...in the background is the older of the 2 buildings that make up the Ulrich's church facilitiesThat evening we had yummy supper of grilled steak and HOMEMADE ice cream. Laurie made a super easy, no-cook recipe that her mother-in-law gave her (1 quart half-n-half, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 4-5 Tablespoons vanilla) that was delicious and then she chopped Reese's Peanut Butter cups into it...um, YUM!

We bedded down the kiddos and Laurie and I went out for a drive while the big boys played Wii until the wee hours of the morning.

The next morning (Saturday) it was time to say good-bye. Our stay seemed short (to me...probably longer when you are the one whose home is being invaded!). I'll ever be thankful for getting to see the Ulrich's new lives!
helping daddy map out the next route

Vacation Part 2...coming up when I have time!

4 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

so glad you were able to visit with them. i am sure being with them made you realize how much you really miss them! and the storm pictures.... WOW!

Andrea Frederick said...

good recap, can't wait to see what happens next!

Anonymous said...

You would have been welcome to stay longer. We loved having you and Natalee here to visit. I miss that little girl. She is such a sweetie. Glad you had a wonderful time. Come back and we'll check out the entire zoo. We could conquer some more garage sales on the side too.
Laurie

Anonymous said...

The first leg was fun. I am so proud of how our little girl traveled during the first part of the trip. I do think that we will need to stop again in Topeka at that park, I really think she will enjoy it. Can not wait to see what you post for the next leg.

Love you